Binghamton University

Graduates: 690
Undergraduates: 12997
Graduates: 690
Setting: Suburban
In-state Tuition: $5,870.00
Out-of-state Tuition: $16,190.00
Student/Faculty Ratio: 20:1
SAT / ACT / GPA: 1910 / 29 / 3.6
Public/Private: Public
Male/Female Ratio: 52:48
Campus Housing: Yes
Religious Affiliation: N/A
Campus Housing: Yes
Acceptance Rate: 44%

Binghamton University, or Binghamton University, State University of New York, commonly referred to as BU, is a public research university in the U.S. state of New York. The university is one of the four university centers in the State University of New York (SUNY) system. Since its establishment in 1946, the university has grown from a small liberal arts college, Harpur College, to a large doctoral-granting institution, presently consisting of six colleges and schools, and is now home to more than 16,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The legal and official name of the university is the State University of New York at Binghamton

Binghamton University is a premier public university dedicated to enriching the lives of people in the region, state, nation and world through discovery and education and to being enriched by partnerships with those communities.

Binghamton University was first established in 1946 as Triple Cities College to serve the needs of local veterans returning from World War II of the Triple Cities area. Thomas J. Watson of IBM was an early supporter of the college and provided some of the initial support and helped to establish it in Endicott, New York; the college was then a branch of Syracuse University. Originally, Triple Cities College offered local students the first two years of their education, while the following two were spent at Syracuse. However, starting in the 1948-1949 year, students were allowed to earn their degrees entirely in Binghamton. When the college split from Syracuse and became incorporated into the State University of New York (SUNY) in 1950, it was renamed Harpur College, in honor of Robert Harpur, a colonial teacher and pioneer who settled in the Binghamton area. It was one of only two public liberal arts schools in New York state in 1950 (the other was Champlain College, Plattsburgh). Among the four University Centers (Stony Brook, Albany, Buffalo and Binghamton), Binghamton was the first to join SUNY In 1955, the college began to plan its current location in Vestal, New York. This move was complete by 1961. The 387-acre (1.57 km2) site was purchased from a local farmer, anticipating future growth for the school. Colonial Hall, the original building of the former campus, stands today as the Village of Endicott Visitor's Center After Harpur College was selected as one of the four university centers of SUNY in 1965, it was renamed the State University of New York at Binghamton. As other schools were added to the University, Harpur College retained its name and its status as the largest of Binghamton's constituent schools�Harpur College of Arts and Sciences, with more than 60% of undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in its degree programs Since 1992, in an effort to differentiate itself from the SUNY system, the school has branded itself as "Binghamton University," or "Binghamton University, State University of New York". It generally uses these names with exception to official documents and communications where it uses its legal name the State University of New York at Binghamton. Further, the University's Administration Procedures discourages references to the University as "SUNY-Binghamton," "SUNY-B," "Harpur College," or other names not listed above The first president of Harpur College, who began as dean of Triple Cities College, was Glenn Bartle. The second president, G. Bruce Dearing, served several years during the Vietnam era, and then left to become vice chancellor for academic affairs at the SUNY Central Administration in Albany. Third in line was C. Peter Magrath, who came from the University of Nebraska, served from 1972�1974, then left in the summer of 1974 to become president at the University of Minnesota. The fourth president at Binghamton was Clifford D. Clark, who left his position as dean of the Business school at the University of Kansas to serve as vice president for academic affairs at Binghamton in 1973, but quickly was asked to take on the job of acting president in the fall of 1974 when Magrath left for Minnesota. Clark then was selected as president and served from March 1975 through mid-1990. In Clark's presidency, he led the campus as it moved from primarily a four-year liberal arts college to a research university. Clark added the Anderson Center for the Performing Arts and inaugurated the Summer Music Festival, created the Harpur Forum (now called the Binghamton University Forum), established the Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science, fostered the expansion and development of the Decker School of Nursing. Lois B. DeFleur became the University's fifth president upon Clark's retirement in 1990. Under her nearly 20-year tenure, the University experienced its most significant growth. She oversaw substantial additions to the student and faculty populations, vastly expanded research activities and funding, formalized Binghamton's fundraising efforts, expanded the physical footprint of the campus by approximately 20 buildings, launched Binghamton's "green" efforts for which they are now nationally recognized, transitioned the school from Division III athletics to Division I and catalyzed the biggest increase in academic ranking to date. DeFleur retired in 2010 and on July 1, C. Peter Magrath returned as president on an interim basis On November 22, 2011, the SUNY Board of Trustees appointed Harvey G. Stenger, Jr. as the seventh president of Binghamton University, effective January 1, 2012. Stenger had been interim provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at the University at Buffalo since April 2011 Thomas J. Watson is an important figure in Binghamton's fabric. Having been a founding member of IBM in Broome County, Watson viewed the region as an area of great potential. In the early 1940s he collaborated with a group of local leaders to initiate the creation of Triple Cities College (of Syracuse University), which would later become Harpur College and then finally Binghamton University. He donated land at and around the original IBM site in Endicott, which the school called home for a few years. The campus broke ground at its current location in Vestal, in 1954. In 1967, the School of Advanced Technology was established�the precursor to the Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science that was founded in 1983

Suburban, 887 acres (3.59 km2)


Billy Baldwin '85, actor Paul Reiser '77, actor, comedian Camille Paglia '68, critic, author Elaine D. Kaplan '76, Judge of the United States Court of Federal Claims Ingrid Michaelson '01, musician John Liu 43rd New York City Comptroller Scott Krug '96, CFO of New York Yankees Stephanie Courtney '92, actor, Flo (Progressive Insurance) Tony Kornheiser '70, host of The Tony Kornheiser Show Ruben Santiago-Hudson '78, actor Marc Lawrence '81, screenwriter and director Morteza Agha-Tehrani Iranian cleric, mentor to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Norman Finkelstein '74, political scientist, professor Donna Lupardo, MA '83, New York State Assembly Hakeem Jeffries '92, first Binghamton University graduate elected to the United States House of Representatives


Website: www.binghamton.edu/
Undergraduate application fee: $0.00
Graduate application fee: $0.00
Member of National Athletic Association:
Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA):
Member of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIC):
Member of National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA):
Member of National Small College Athletic Association (NSCAA):
Member of National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA):