Founded in 1950 as California Baptist College in El Monte, California, the new college enrolled 120 students during its first year under the leadership of the first president, P. Boyd Smith. In 1953, the college moved under the wing of the Southern Baptist Convention, the same year that the first edition of the Angelos, the college yearbook, was published. In 1954, the college received its charter from the state of California. CBU James Complex Soon, the college outgrew its facilities, and, in 1955, moved its campus to the then rural city of Riverside. The college moved to a more spacious 75.6 acre campus which already had constructed buildings that could be used for offices, classrooms, and living areas. What is now known as the Annie Gabriel Library, was the first to be built in 1921. In 1927, the original administration building was constructed whereas the W.E. James Building was built in 1934. The building which now houses the ceramics studio and boiler was constructed in 1938. In 1958, the college named its second president, Dr. Lloyd Simmons. 1960s and 1970s In 1961 CBU received full accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. In 1964, the college began expanding with the construction of the Lancer Arms apartment complex and the student population reached 500. In 1968, Smith and Simmons residence halls were built and named in honor of the college's first two presidents. These new dorms allowed for higher enrollment at the college. In 1971, Dr. James R. Staples was named as the third college president. Two years later, the Wallace Book of Life Theater was built. In 1978, the college's $800,000 note for the Riverside campus was finally paid and was burned in a college-wide celebration. 1980s and 1990s Dr. Russell R. Tuck became the college's fourth president in 1984. The same year, the first graduate degree was granted and accreditation was received by the National Association of Schools of Music. In 1991, Wanda's Place was established, an on-campus cafe named in honor of a popular long-time college employee. Three years later, Dr. Ronald L. Ellis was installed as the fifth college president and the next year school enrollment reached 1,000. California Baptist College became the first college on the West Coast to receive accreditation by Association of College Business Schools and Programs in 1996. The next year enrollment reached 2,000. In September 1998, California Baptist College officially became California Baptist University. 2000s CBU Yeager Center Entrance In 2000, the school's 50th anniversary was celebrated. The campus again expanded in 2001 with the addition of the University Place Apartments. The School of Music was established in 2002 with the new Dr. Bonnie G. Metcalf School of Education following in 2003. The same year, the new university complex, known as the Yeager Center, was opened housing classrooms, administration offices, the cafeteria, computer labs, and professors' offices. The summer of 2004 saw new housing complexes built, and in the fall the university enrolled its first students in the Masters of Music degree program. The School of Engineering was established in 2006. The inaugural class in the fall of 2007 had 55 students. CBU added its College of Allied Health in the fall of 2010 when enrollment exceeded 4,700 students. Also in September 2010, CBU also opened its third campus restaurant, Brisco's Village Cafï¿½. On August 30, 2011, nursing student Domaine Javier was expelled from California Baptist University for being a transgendered woman. The reason given for Javier's expulsion was that she was accused of "committing or attempting to engage in fraud, or concealing identity" by having applied and being accepted as a woman to the school. As a private institution, laws restricting gender discrimination do not apply to California Baptist University. On August 22, 2012, CBUï¿½s bachelor degree programs in civil engineering (BSCE), electrical and computer engineering (BSECE) and mechanical engineering (BSME) were accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). On August 23, 2012, CBU dedicated a new building for its Dr. Robert K. Jabs School of Business. Undergraduate programs in Applied Statistics, Architecture, Aviation Science, Chemical Engineering and Software Engineering were added for Fall 2013. New MBA concentrations in Accounting, Healthcare Administration and Construction Management were added, as well as Master of Arts in Education concentrations in Science Education and Leadership.