Setting: Small four-year, highly residential
In-state Tuition: $28,124.00
Out-of-state Tuition: $28,124.00
Student/Faculty Ratio: 11:01
SAT / ACT / GPA: 1060 / 24 / 3.89
Male/Female Ratio: 0:100
Campus Housing: Yes
Religious Affiliation: N/A
Campus Housing: Yes
Acceptance Rate: 52%
The primary mission of Converse College, founded in 1889, is the liberal education of
undergraduate women in a residential setting. Converse reaffirms the founder's original
conviction that a small undergraduate residential college of the liberal arts is a uniquely
powerful environment for developing the talents of women. As a community of scholars, where
students and faculty pursue excellence and collaborate in the search for truth, Converse
develops in students scholarly excellence, personal honor, confidence, and skills to be life-long
learners. The College draws much of its character from its Christian heritage and welcomes
students of all faiths. Converse expands its mission by offering graduate degrees and other
programs for women and men. Ultimately, graduates embody the qualities of a Converse
education as they assume roles of leadership, service, and citizenship.
Converse College is a liberal arts women's college in Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA. It was established by a group of Spartanburg citizens and named after Dexter Edgar Converse.
The primary mission ofconverse college is the liberal arts education ofundergraduate women in a residential setting students pursue richly diverse programs in liberal arts and career preparations
Converse College opened on October 1, 1889 with a student body of 168 and 16 faculty members. The College operated as a "stock company" with the board of directors composed entirely of citizens of Spartanburg. Dexter Edgar Converse, a native of Vermont who had settled in Spartanburg before the American Civil War and had become a successful pioneer in the cotton mill industry, served as the head of the first board of directors. On January 2, 1892 fire destroyed the College's main building. The building was enlarged during its reconstruction. In 1896, the College was incorporated in South Carolina and a self-perpetuating board of trustees was named. In 1964, the College introduced graduate programs.
The Converse College Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It encompasses eight contributing buildings dated between 1891 and 1915. They are the Main Building (1892), Annex (Pell Hall, 1891), Twichell Auditorium (1898-1899), Carnegie Library (1905), Cleveland House (c. 1905), Judd Science Hall (1915), Dexter Hall (1899), and Towne House (1898). The buildings are representative of the Romanesque Revival, Gothic Revival, and Neo-Classical styles.
The Office of Alumnae and Donor Relations begins working with students as freshmen, sponsoring events to increase their awareness of the Association and of their responsibilities as future alumnae. After graduation, the Office of Alumnae and Donor Relations serves as their link to the College, keeping them informed and involved with the College, and recognizing them for their accomplishments.