Founded in 1827 by Rev. John Finley Crowe, Hanover College experienced a turbulent early period. It has become an established institution of liberal arts education. In 2002, the College celebrated its 175th anniversary. In the early 19th century, missionaries went to Hanover as part of the Second Great Awakening. Rev. John Finley Crowe served as pastor of the Hanover Presbyterian Church. He opened the Hanover Academy January 1, 1827, in a small log cabin near his home. Two years later, the state of Indiana granted a charter to the Academy. On November 9, 1829, the Academyï¿½s Board of Trustees accepted a proposal by the Presbyterian Synod of Indiana to adopt the school, provided a theological department was established. A two-story brick building was constructed to house both the Academy and the new Indiana Seminary. The state of Indiana issued a new charter to the Academy, creating Hanover College effective January 1, 1833. Under this charter, the college's Board of Trustees is independent of ecclesiastical control, but it has formally adopted the standards for Presbyterian colleges for Hanover. The association continues to this day. In the 1830s, the College Edifice (now serving as the Hanover Presbyterian Church) was the center of a bustling, 3-acre (12,000 m2) campus. In 1834, 119 students attended Hanover Preparatory School (formerly Hanover Academy) and 101 students attended Hanover College, rapid growth from the six students of only seven years earlier. In 1843 both the college's president and its trustees accepted a proposal from Madison city leaders to move Hanover College. The trustees dissolved the Hanover charter and established Madison University. However, John Finley Crowe purchased the college property and established the Hanover Classical and Mathematical School. Four months after Madison University was founded, its president had resigned and its students began to return to Croweï¿½s school. By May 1844, all of Madisonï¿½s students and faculty had made the trip five miles (8 km) to the west. Hanover College was officially restored when Indiana's legislature granted a new charter to the college on Christmas Day. Crowe, who served as faculty to the college for more than 30 years and refused to have his name considered for the presidency, is quite accurately described as "twice the founder of Hanover College." The Board of Trustees voted in 1849 to purchase a 200-acre (0.8 km2) farm one-half mile to the east of Hanoverï¿½s campus. This land, overlooking the Ohio River, serves as the centerpiece of the college campus today. By the mid-1850s, Classic Hall was constructed on a bluff known as the Point, and College classes were moved to that location. "Old Classic" would be Hanoverï¿½s signature building for more than 90 years. The Civil War, especially the Confederate maneuvers known as Morgan's Raid, came close to campus; faculty and students were alerted that the troops might try to burn Classic Hall. In 1870, Presbyterian Church officials proposed that Hanover College be merged with Wabash College, with Hanover becoming a women's school. The Hanover Board of Trustees rejected that proposal, as well as one from businessmen in 1873 that would have moved the college to Indianapolis and renamed it Johnson University. During Hanover Collegeï¿½s first 50 years of operations, it had nine presidents, none of whom served for longer than nine years; five served three years or less. But after that, conditions stabilized: Daniel Webster Fisher would lead Hanover until his retirement in 1907. He was followed in the presidency by William A. Millis (1908ï¿½1929), Albert G. Parker Jr. (1929ï¿½1958), John E. Horner (1959ï¿½1987) and Russell Nichols (1987ï¿½2007), Sue DeWine (2007-). The college has had only five presidents in the last 102 years. Hendricks, Thomas A., Library U.S. National Register of Historic Places Location College Dr. (Campus Rd.), Hanover, Indiana Area less than one acre Built 1903 Architectural style Colonial Revival Governing body Private NRHP Reference # 82000043 Added to NRHP February 26, 1982 This stability of leadership ushered in a new era of growth. Fisher oversaw the construction of five buildings, including Hendricks Library. Named for Thomas Hendricks, an alumnus who had served as U.S. vice president, it is now used for classes and is known as Hendricks Hall, the oldest classroom building on Hanoverï¿½s campus. Albert G. Parker Jr. was inaugurated as Hanoverï¿½s 12th president November 27, 1929, less than one month after the stock market crash that precipitated the Great Depression. The economic hard times cut investment revenues and operational expenses had to be closely monitored. But this challenge provided the college with one of its greatest rewards. On December 7, 1941, the attack on Pearl Harbor plunged the United States into World War II. In just two years, Hanoverï¿½s enrollment plummeted to 164 students, including only 20 men. In the early morning of December 19, 1943 a huge fire destroyed most of Classic Hall. By 1946, the postwar enrollment at Hanover had more than rebounded. It had ballooned to 679 students, and the first great construction period of the collegeï¿½s history was under way. In 1947, Hanover began to admit women through its coordinate college, Long College for Women. Until the 1960s, all women who graduated from Hanover had their degree officially conferred by Long instead of Hanover. Long College operated until the two colleges fully merged in 1978, making Hanover officially coeducational. Parker had announced that he would retire as Hanoverï¿½s president as of September 1, 1958, but died in March of that year. John E. Horner was named as an interim president and ended up serving 29 years. Hanover students say that Parker's ghost still haunts Parker auditorium. Under Hornerï¿½s 29-year leadership, Hanover enjoyed unprecedented growth in its academic program, financial standing, and student enrollment. Soon after his arrival, he encouraged faculty members to reform their curriculum. Eventually Hanover divided its academic year into two 14-week terms, in which students took three classes, and a five-week Spring Term, in which students took one course of specialized, intensive study. With some modifications, it still serves as Hanoverï¿½s curricular model today. By the mid-1960s, the campus expanded to more than 500 acres (2 kmï¿½) of land, enrollment topped 1,000 students, and Hanoverï¿½s assets approached $15 million. In the late afternoon of April 3, 1974, a tornado roared through campus with devastating results. This was part of the Super Outbreak of tornadoes that struck 13 states and one Canadian province that day. No one was killed or seriously injured, but 32 of the collegeï¿½s 33 buildings were damaged, including two that were completely destroyed and six that sustained major structural damage. Hundreds of trees were down, completely blocking every campus road. All utilities were knocked out and communication with those off campus was nearly impossible. Government officials estimated the damage at $10 million. Some wondered if Hanover College could survive. The Hanoverians, led by Horner, sprang into action. Winter Term ended one week early and students were dismissed, but many stayed to help faculty, staff and others clear the debris. The Board of Trustees met April 5 in emergency session and vowed to lead the efforts in rebuilding and improving Hanover College. They vowed to do so without any federal disaster assistance, continuing Hanoverï¿½s tradition of financial independence. Within a week, roads were made passable and major services restored. Contributions poured in to cover Hanoverï¿½s $1 million in uninsurable losses; they raised this amount in three months. When Spring Term opened April 22, the college had full enrollment 19 days after the tornado. An editorial in The Indianapolis Star described the effort as "a private miracle." By spring 1975, replanting efforts completed Hanoverï¿½s recovery. When Horner retired in 1987, Hanoverï¿½s endowment was more than $40 million. Russell Nichols was inaugurated as Hanoverï¿½s 14th president on September 26, 1987. He initiated actions to improve the Hanover experience for students both inside and outside the classroom. The number of full-time faculty was increased over a five-year period from 72 to 94, lowering the student-teacher ratio and allowing for more independent research and study. Six new academic majors were added. In terms of amenities, students enjoyed a direct-dial telephone in each dorm room, ending years of having a campus operator direct all calls. More significantly, academic scholarships were increased for incoming and returning students. In 1995 the $11 million Horner Health and Recreation Center was opened; it was named for the president emeritus and his wife. In 2000 a $23 million Science Center was dedicated, which now houses all of the collegeï¿½s five natural sciences in the same facility. In May 2006, Nichols announced his plans to retire at the conclusion of the 2007 academic year. His accomplishments include the revision of the curriculum which expanded study abroad offerings. Additionally, he oversaw implementation of the Center for Business Preparation, an innovation program designed to link liberal arts education with business. In 2004, Hanover was awarded $11.4 million to start the Rivers Institute, a multi-disciplinary center to study all aspects of rivers throughout the world. In the fall of 2008, Dr. Sue DeWine succeeded Nichols as president of Hanover College. She was formerly the provost at Marietta College in Marietta, Ohio, and is the 15th president of Hanover College.
James Graham Brown, philanthropist, businessman and real estate developer. John Merle Coulter 1870, American botanist, professor at Hanover College, Wabash College, and the University of Chicago, President of Indiana University and Lake Forest University. Stanley Coulter 1870, Dean of School of Sciences at Purdue University. William Allen Cullop, member of the United States House of Representatives from Indiana. Thomas Cleland Dawson 1888, United States diplomat. Brett Dietz, Arena Football League quarterback for the Tampa Bay Storm. William Donner 1887, steel industry businessman and philanthropist. Ebenezer Dumont 1836, member of the United State House of Representatives from Indiana and Brigadier general of the Union Army during the American Civil War. William M. Dunn, member of the United State House of Representatives from Indiana, Judge Advocate General of the United States Army, and delegate to 1850 Constitution of Indiana Convention. Jonathan Edwards, first President of Washington & Jefferson College. Harriet Elliott, educator and American civic leader. William Hayden English, American politician, member of the United State House of Representatives from Indiana, candidate for Vice President of the United States and Speaker of the Indiana House of Representatives. Walter L. Fisher, United States Secretary of the Interior from 1911 to 1913. Woody Harrelson, actor in TV series Cheers and two-time Academy Award nominee. Charles Sherrod Hatfield 1904, judge of the United States Court of Customs and Patent Appeals. Thomas Andrews Hendricks, twenty-first Vice President of the United States. Walter LaFeber, historian at Cornell University. Jim Leonard, playwright (The Diviners) and TV producer/writer Close to Home. Bertha Lewis, CEO and Chief Organizer of ACORN. Oscar Montgomery 1881, Justice of the Indiana Supreme Court. John Davis Paris 1833, builder of missionary churches on the island of Hawaii. James Kennedy Patterson 1856, first President of University of Kentucky. Lafe Pence 1877, member of the United States House of Representatives from Colorado Mike Pence, Governor of Indiana and member of the United States House of Representatives from Indiana. Albert G. Porter, Governor of Indiana and member of the United States House of Representatives from Indiana. Carol Warner Shields, Pulitzer Prize-winning author. Monica Sone, author of the noted memoir Nisei Daughter. Reginald H. Thomson, civil engineer who designed modern Seattle. Robert J. Tracewell, member of the United States House of Representatives from Indiana and Comptroller of the United States Department of the Treasury. William Ross Wallace 1836, American poet. George F. Whitworth, Presbyterian missionary, Founder of Whitworth College and President of University of Washington Harvey W. Wiley, chemist involved with the passage of the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.