Ottawa University

Graduates: 652
Undergraduates: 531
Graduates: 652
Setting: Small
In-state Tuition: $23,364.00
Out-of-state Tuition: $23,364.00
Student/Faculty Ratio: 18:01
SAT / ACT / GPA: 1376 / 21 / 3.28
Public/Private: Private
Male/Female Ratio: 52:48
Campus Housing: Yes
Religious Affiliation: American Baptist Church
Campus Housing: Yes
Acceptance Rate: 69%

The University of Ottawa (uOttawa or U of O or Ottawa U) (French: Universit� d'Ottawa) is a bilingual public research university in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The main campus is located on 42.5 hectares (105 acres) in the residential neighbourhood of Sandy Hill, adjacent to Ottawa's Rideau Canal. The university offers a wide variety of academic programs, administered by ten faculties. It is a member of the U15, a group of research-intensive universities in Canada.

Since 1848, the University of Ottawa has been Canada's university: a reflection, an observatory and a catalyst of the Canadian experience in all its complexity and diversity. Our university is characterized by its unique history, its commitment to bilingualism, its location both in the heart of the national capital and at the juncture of French and English Canada, its special commitment to the promotion of French culture in Ontario and to multiculturalism. As a result and through the groundbreaking work of our community members, we are uniquely positioned among Canada's research-intensive institutions to give students a remarkable education, to enrich the intellectual and cultural life of Canada and to help the country achieve greater international prominence.

The university was established on 26 September 1848 as the College of Bytown by the first Roman Catholic bishop of Ottawa, Joseph-Bruno Guigues. He entrusted administration to the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The college was originally located in Lower Town, housed in a wooden building next to the Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica. However, space quickly became an issue for administrators, triggering two moves in 1852 and a final move to Sandy Hill in 1856. The Sandy Hill property was donated by Louis-Theodore Besserer, where he offered a substantial parcel from his estate for the college. The college was renamed College of Ottawa in 1861, following the city's name change from Bytown to Ottawa. In 1866, the college received its first charter, as well as university status, making it the final institution in Canada to receive a Royal Charter from London before the British North America Act, 1867 made education a provincial responsibility. By 1872 the university had already begun to confer undergraduate degrees, with master's degrees coming in 1875 and doctoral degrees in 1888.On 5 February 1889, the university was granted a pontifical charter from Pope Leo XIII, elevating the university to a pontifical university. The university faced a crisis when fire destroyed the main building on 2 December 1903. After the fire, the university hired New York architect A. O. Von Herbulis to design its replacement, Tabaret Hall. It was among the first Canadian structures to be completely fireproof, built of reinforced concrete.Women first enrolled in 1919. A few weeks after the start of the Second World War, a Canadian Officer Training Corp was established at the university, with training beginning on in January 1940. An air force training corp was created in 1942 and a naval training corp in 1943. Participation in one of the three corps became mandatory for all students over 18, although they were not obliged to participate in the actual war. During this time, the Royal Canadian Air Force used parts of the university's grounds for training and the university constructed barracks to house members of the Canadian Women's Army Corps. In total 1,158 students and alumni of the university enrolled the Canadian Forces during the war, losing 50 killed in action. The Ottawa architecture firm of Burgess, McLean & MacPhadyen designed the Eastern Ontario Institute of Technology (later to merge with the Ontario Vocational Centre and renamed Algonquin College), opened its new Rideau Campus on a 12 acre city owned Lees Avenue site in 1964. After being unused for a number of years, the midcentury academic complex was sold to the University of Ottawa in January 2007. The university was reorganized on 1 July 1965 as a corporation independent from any outside body or religious organization, becoming publicly funded. As a result, the civil and pontifical charters were transferred to the newly created Saint Paul University, federated with the corporation, while the remaining civil faculties were retained by the reorganized university. In 1974, a new policy mandated by the Government of Ontario strengthened institutional bilingualism at the university, with specific instructions to further bilingualism and biculturalism and preserve and develop French culture. In 1989, Dr. Wilbert Keon of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute performed the country's first neonatal artificial heart transplant on an 11-day-old baby. On 11 November 1998, during the University of Ottawa's 150th anniversary celebrations, two war memorial plaques were unveiled in the foyer of Tabaret Hall which honour 1000 graduates of the university community who took part in armed conflict, especially the list of 50 graduates who lost their lives.

Urban, 42.5 hectares (105 acres)


Graduates have found success in many fields, serving as the heads of diverse institutions in both public and private sectors. As of 18 October 2011, the university has 167,224 alumni. Faculty and graduates have accumulated numerous awards including Governor General's Awards and the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. Recipients of the Governor General's Award include Michel Bock, Christl Verduyn and Pulitzer Prize winner Carol Shields. Chancellors have previously held positions such as Governor General of Canada, Viceregal consort of Canada. Examples include Pauline Vanier, 46th viceregal consort of Canada, Gabrielle L�ger, the 48th viceregal consort of Canada, Maurice Sauv�, the 50th viceregal consort of Canada,and Micha�lle Jean, the 27th Governor General of Canada. Two former heads of government attended the university, including Edward Morris, 1st Baron Morris, the 2nd Prime Minister of Newfoundland, and Paul Martin, the 24th Prime Minister of Canada. Premiers include Paul Okalik, 1st Premier of Nunavut, and Dalton McGuinty, 24th Premier of Ontario. Six graduates have been appointed puisne justices, with one moving on to become a Chief Justice of Canada. Puisne justices include Louise Arbour, Michel Bastarache, Louise Charron,Louis LeBel, Richard Wagner and G�rald Fauteux.Fauteux would later become a Chief Justice of Canada. Prominent business leaders include Daniel Lamarre, president and CEO of Cirque du Soleil, Paul Desmarais, chairman of the Power Corporation of Canada, Andr� Desmarais,Calin Rovinescu, president and CEO of Air Canada, and Andr� Ouellet, Postmaster General of Canada, CEO and president of Canada Post.


Website: www.ottawa.edu/?
Undergraduate application fee: $0.00
Graduate application fee: $0.00
Member of National Athletic Association:
Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA):
Member of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIC):
Member of National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA):
Member of National Small College Athletic Association (NSCAA):
Member of National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA):