In-state Tuition: $4,560.00
Out-of-state Tuition: $6,740.00
Student/Faculty Ratio: 15:01
Male/Female Ratio: 34:66
Campus Housing: No
Religious Affiliation: N/A
Campus Housing: No
Acceptance Rate: 76%
St. Joseph's College is a liberal arts college in New York State, with campuses located in the Clinton Hill area of Brooklyn and in Patchogue, Long Island. Independent and coeducational, the College provides education at the undergraduate and graduate levels, offering degrees in more than 25 majors, special course offerings and certificates, affiliated and pre-professional programs through its School of Arts and Sciences and its School of Professional and Graduate Studies. Dedicated to providing an affordable education to a diverse group of students, St. Joseph's College has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges" issue for more than a decade.
The mission of St. Joseph's College is to provide a strong academic and value-oriented education at the undergraduate and graduate levels, rooted in a liberal arts tradition that supports provision for career preparation and enhancement. The College prepares each student for a life characterized by integrity, intellectual and spiritual values, social responsibility and service - a life that is worthy of the Collegeï¿½s motto, Esse non videri: ï¿½To be, not to seem.ï¿½ To accomplish this, St. Josephï¿½s College has established the following goals: To offer curricula that foster the knowledge and intellectual skills associated with the liberally educated person To encourage students to develop personal value systems and responsible self-direction To foster committed participation in the local and global communities To help students develop as whole persons by providing individual attention, interactive teaching and opportunities for active participation in academic and extracurricular programs To prepare students for their careers by offering the necessary professional and pre-professional education To provide for the needs of a diversified student population with varied educational and professional experiences To foster an environment of openness to the exploration and understanding of diverse ideas, traditions and cultures To support educational programs and services that will contribute to the vitality of the communities served by the Brooklyn and Long Island campuses
Originally named St. Joseph's College for Women, the college was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Brentwood, in response to the need for a day college for young women. The college received its provisional charter from the Regents of the University of the State of New York on February 24, 1916. After the college outgrew its original Brooklyn facilities at 286 Washington Avenue, it moved to its present site at 245 Clinton Avenue in 1918. The College's first baccalaureate degrees were conferred on fourteen graduates on June 17, 1920, and the first valedictorian was Beverly Stubbenhouser. The College was accredited in 1928 by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The Regents granted St. Joseph's College an Absolute Charter in 1929. Reverend William T. Dillon, J.D., Professor of Philosophy, served as Dean of the College and later its President, during the years that followed. St. Joseph's opened a laboratory pre-school in 1934 following several years of research in the field of Child Development. Sister Vincent Thï¿½rï¿½se Tuohy assumed the presidency in 1956. McEntegart Hall, a multi-functional building housing the library and classrooms, was opened in 1965; the Dillon Child Study Center followed in 1968. Sister George Aquin O'Connor was elected President and assumed responsibility on July 1, 1969. In 1970, a Charter amendment changed the name to St. Joseph's College and enabled the college to admit the first male students to full matriculation. On February 2, 1971, St. Joseph's inaugurated an extension program in the collegiate center formerly known as Brentwood College, and moved to develop a degree program in Brentwood, oriented to the third and fourth years of college. This Upper Division baccalaureate program opened in September 1972, and the Board of Regents of the State of New York authorized St. Joseph's College to join Long Island University C.W. Post Campus, in a Coordinate Campus program, the first such pattern adopted in the State. In 1976, this Suffolk County operation was authorized by the Regents to operate as a branch campus. In 1978, St. Joseph's College expanded its operation at the Suffolk Branch Campus to a full four-year program, and in 1979 moved to a twenty-five acre campus in Patchogue which includes a baseball field, two multi-story buildings that house classrooms, a multi-story research library, and a modern athletic facility that includes a convertible indoor sport floor, an indoor swimming pool, fully equipped weight rooms and several other offerings. Since then, the Long Island Campus has expanded to include the Clare Rose Playhouse, the Callahan Library, the John A. Danzi Athletic Center, the 33,000-square-foot Business Technology Center, and most recently, the 24.8 acre, outdoor athletic facility. The Brooklyn Campus has expanded as well with the purchase of a five-story brownstone for staff and faculty office space, the purchase of St. Angela Hall Academy for additional classrooms, and plans for further expansion over the next 10 years, including a new athletic facility.