In-state Tuition: $5,870.00
Out-of-state Tuition: $16,190.00
Student/Faculty Ratio: 18:01
SAT / ACT / GPA: 1190 / 26 / 3.50
Male/Female Ratio: 52:48
Campus Housing: Yes
Religious Affiliation: N/A
Campus Housing: Yes
Acceptance Rate: 55%
The University at Albany, known officially as University at Albany, State University of New York, is a research institution with campuses in Albany, Guilderland, and East Greenbush, New York, United States. The oldest university campus of the State University of New York (SUNY) system, founded in 1844, it carries out undergraduate and graduate education, research, and service.
Although the university is the oldest SUNY institution, it was an independent state-supported teachers' college for most of its history until SUNY was formed in 1948. The University at Albany began as the New York State Normal School on May 7, 1844, by vote of the State Legislature. Beginning with 29 students and four faculty in an abandoned railroad depot on State Street in the heart of the city, the Normal School was the first New York State-chartered institution of higher education. Dedicated to training New York students as schoolteachers and administrators, by the early 1890s the ï¿½Schoolï¿½ had become the New York State Normal College and, with a revised four-year curriculum in 1905, became the first public institution of higher education in New York to be granted the power to confer the bachelor's degree. A new campus ï¿½ today, UAlbanyï¿½s Downtown Campus ï¿½ was established in 1909 on a site of 4.5 acres (18,000 m2) between Washington and Western avenues. By 1913, the institution was home to 590 students and 44 faculty members, it offered a masterï¿½s degree for the first time, and bore a new name ï¿½ the New York State College for Teachers. Enrollment grew to a peak of 1,424 in 1932. In 1948 the State University of New York system was created, comprising the College for Teachers and several other institutions throughout the state. SUNY, including the Albany campus, became a manifestation of the grand vision of Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller, who wanted a public university system to accommodate the college students of the postï¿½World War II baby boom. To do so, he launched a massive construction program that developed over 50 new campuses. In 1962 the State University of New York at Albany was officially designated a doctoral-degree granting university center of SUNY. The same year, Rockefeller broke ground for the current Uptown Campus on the former site of the Albany Country Club. The new campus's first dormitory opened in 1964, and the first classes on the academic podium in the fall of 1966. By 1970, a year beyond the Universityï¿½s 125th anniversary, enrollment had grown to 13,200 and the faculty to 746. That same year the growing protest movement against the Vietnam war engulfed the university when a student strike was called for in response to the killing of protesters at Kent State. The Uptown Campus, designed by architect Edward Durell Stone, accommodated this growth and gave visible evidence of the school's transition from a teachers college to a broad-based liberal arts university. The Downtown Campus became dedicated to the fields of public policy: criminal justice, public affairs, information science and social welfare. In 1985, the university added the School of Public Health, a joint endeavor with the stateï¿½s Department of Health. In 1983, the New York State Writers Institute was founded by Pulitzer Prize-winning author William Kennedy. As of 2013, the Institute had hosted over time more than 1,200 writers, poets, journalists, historians, dramatists and filmmakers. The list includes eight Nobel Prize winners, nearly 200 Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award winners, several Motion Picture Academy Award winners and nominees, and numerous other literary prize recipients. In addition the institute has hosted up-and-coming writers to provide them with exposure at the beginning of their writing careers. During the 1990s, the university built a $3 billion, 450,000-square-foot (42,000 m2) Albany NanoTech complex, extending the Uptown Campus westward. By 2006, it became home to the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering. In 1996, a third campus ï¿½ the East Campus ï¿½ was added 12 miles (19 km) east of the Uptown Campus in Rensselaer County, when the university acquired former Sterling-Winthrop laboratories and converted them into labs, classrooms, and a business incubator concentrating on advances in biotechnology and other health-related disciplines. In 2005, the East Campus became home to the universityï¿½s Gen*NY*Sis Center for Excellence in Cancer Genomics. In the spring of 2005, the university created a College of Computing and Information.