Alderson Broaddus University derives its double-barreled name from the merging of two Baptist institutions in 1932. The older of the two, Broaddus College, was founded in Winchester, Virginia, in 1871 by Edward Jefferson Willis, a Baptist minister who named the new college after Rev. William Francis Ferguson Broaddus, a prominent Baptist minister at the time of the American Civil War. In response to economic hard times, Broaddus College was moved across the Allegheny Mountains to Clarksburg in 1876. The college was moved again to the small town of Philippi in 1901. The other institution, Alderson Academy and Junior College, was founded in Alderson in 1901 by Emma Alderson, a committed Baptist laywoman. As the years passed, Broaddus became a junior college, then a senior college, and Alderson Academy added junior college status. Financial hardship in the late 1920s led to a decision to merge the two colleges, which shared common missions and outlooks as Baptist and liberal arts institutions. Since its founding, Alderson Broaddus has been committed to a strong liberal arts education. As such, the College seeks to imbue students with an appreciation of literature and the arts, Christian faith, music and the sciences. In more recent times, the College has focused on developing programs in the natural and applied sciences as well. In 1945, Alderson Broaddus developed the first four-year nursing and the first radiologic technology programs in West Virginia. A portion of the physical assets of Storer College, a historically black Baptist college founded 1867 in Harpers Ferry were transferred to Alderson Broaddus in 1964 and became the �Storer Scholarship� given annually to African-American students. In 1968, the College pioneered the nation's first four-year physician assistant program, an innovation that has had significant influence on the development of the physician assistant profession nationwide. From this program emerged in 1991 the College's first graduate degree offering, the Physician Assistant Master's program. In the mid to late 2000's, on the verge of bankruptcy, the College hired Richard Creehan as President. Creehan embarked on a plan to expand the College, and the school has since upped enrollment by over 600 students, expanded the athletic department immensely, and added many new academic programs. Today, Alderson Broaddus remains a health-related and professional educational institution firmly rooted in the liberal arts. The school is still growing and expanding. On April 20, 2013, the Board of Governors voted to rename the school Alderson Broaddus University. The name change took effect on July 1, 2013, coinciding with the largest incoming freshman class in school history.
Lt. Gen. John E. Jackson, President, Fork Union Military Academy Richard F. Wilson, President, Illinois Wesleyan University Maj. Gen. Jessica L. Wright, first woman Adjutant General of the Pennsylvania National Guard; second woman to hold such a position in the USA Ed Schrock, U.S. Congressman (R., VA), 2001�2005 Michael Barnes, lead singer of the Grammy-nominated Christian Rock band Red