The college was founded as the Junior College of Southeastern Colorado in 1937. The original building still stands at Eighth Street and Walnut. It became Lamar Junior College with the creation of a new district in 1946 and changed to Lamar Community College in 1965. It became a member of the Colorado Community College System, formerly known as the State System of Community Colleges in 1968 With a large campus, it is home to several instructional buildings, residence hall/cafeteria, Wellness Center, and Equine Complex. In 2008, the college received a $2 million US Department of Higher Education Title III Strengthening Institutions grant to create three new programs in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) to focus on Secondary Math and Science Education and Sports & Fitness Management; Construction Technology; and Renewable Energy Technology.